Pocono Raceway Stays on Track with Unique Real-time Weather Insights from AccuWeather
- June 07, 2019; 1:44 PM
Thanks to AccuWeather's continuously updated race-day forecast, there was no rain delay for NASCAR's "Pocono 400"-and walk-up ticket sales in the wake of an updated weather forecast boosted this year's attendance.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - June 7, 2019 - When the rain began at 10:00 p.m. last Saturday night, race fans excited for the next day's "Pocono 400" NASCAR race had a sinking feeling the big event might be postponed until Monday. After all, some local weather forecasts had been calling for the rain during the event.
But the Pocono Raceway's leadership-and fans who checked the AccuWeather app on their phones-weren't alarmed by the Saturday night shower. And they were not disappointed.
As the Official Weather Service Provider of Pocono Raceway since 2017, AccuWeather-the world's largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company-provides the track's operations team with site-specific weather warnings and pinpoint forecasts. The company's technology plays a vital role in keeping fans and Raceway personnel safe in the event of weather threats or storms.
Throughout the weekend, AccuWeather meteorologists were in constant contact with the Raceway team, providing detailed briefings to keep them up to date with the latest changes in the forecast so they could make decisions about the event with maximum confidence.
The track's location on the Pocono Mountain Plateau, approximately 1,900 feet above sea level, can create a delightful break from summertime heat for race fans. However, under certain conditions, the high elevation can also increase the risk of showers.
When Saturday night's rain started, AccuWeather's hour-by-hour weather forecast for Sunday showed just one potential thunderstorm, predicted to begin hours after the start of the race. "We are constantly monitoring the weather and conditions to ensure the safety of our fans and guests," said Nick Igdalsky, CEO, Pocono Raceway. "AccuWeather provides us with state-of-the-art expertise, which we used to stay ahead of potential weather threats all weekend. As Sunday progressed, while using all the tools AccuWeather has at our disposal, we were confident the race would be rain free."
Kyle Busch in action during a NASCAR Cup Series auto race, Sunday, June 3, 2018, in Long Pond, Pa. (AP Photo/Derik Hamilton)
In addition to being the Raceway's weather service provider, AccuWeather is the presenting partner of the raceway's "Worry-Free Weather Guarantee," which ensures that fans who purchased Sunday NASCAR and INDYCAR tickets directly from Pocono Raceway, in advance of the race, will be reimbursed the face value of their ticket if weather postpones the race and they are unable to attend the re-scheduled event.
The Worry-Free Weather Guarantee presented by AccuWeather is in place for the Raceway's NASCAR race, the "Gander RV 400," on Sunday, July 28. Additionally, this ticket policy applies to the "ABC Supply 500" INDYCAR race on Sunday, August 18. Adult Sunday tickets start at $45 and kids, ages 12 and under, are FREE. Pocono Raceway is currently the only track to offer FREE tickets to kids for their NASCAR and INDYCAR Sunday events in 2019. Visit www.poconoraceway.com/tickets or call 1-800-722-3929 for more information.
The continuing partnership between AccuWeather and Pocono Raceway brings together two Pennsylvania-based brands that are known worldwide. AccuWeather delivers weather warnings and forecasts with proven Superior Accuracy™ in the U.S. and globally, while Pocono Raceway is known to generations of delighted racing fans as a challenging track that has earned the nickname, ‘The Tricky Triangle.'
"AccuWeather is extremely proud to bring our well-documented Superior Accuracy to benefit the thousands of fans, drivers, their crews and the Pocono Raceway organization itself," said Jonathan Porter, Vice President and General Manager, AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions. "We are thrilled our accurate weather forecast for this important and well-attended event enhanced race fans' experience and enabled them to make the decision to attend and enjoy this exciting pastime."
The Raceway's confidence in AccuWeather is well placed, research indicates. In the most comprehensive study of forecast accuracy ever undertaken, AccuWeather was reconfirmed as the most accurate source of forecasts and warnings over the next five favorite weather sources in the categories of windspeed, precipitation and high temperatures worldwide. Independent industry tracker ForecastWatch gathered forecast data including 95 million forecasts from 1,140 locations over a three-year period, and AccuWeather demonstrated the consistency and reliability of its forecasts, proving its wind speed accuracy to be 33 percent more accurate, its precipitation forecasts to be 21 percent more accurate, and its high temperature forecasts to be 10 percent more than the next ranked provider's, respectively.
AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions uses that Superior Accuracy to provide site-specific warnings and expert weather consultation for thousands of live events every year.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and www.AccuWeather.com
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through radio, television, newspapers, smart phones, tablets, connected TVs, the AccuWeather Network and www.AccuWeather.com. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather's many innovative and award-winning features available free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Furthermore, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally. Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology." Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
The AccuWeather app for Android phone and tablet users is free at the Google Play store. The AccuWeather iOS app is free at www.AppStore.com. Visit www.accuweather.com for additional information.
AccuWeather, RealFeel and MinuteCast, are all registered trademarks of AccuWeather, Inc. AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature, AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature Guide, AccuWeather RealImpact, AccuWeather RI, AccuWeather Network, Minute by Minute and Superior Accuracy are all trademarks of AccuWeather, Inc. All other trademarks, product names and logos are the property of their respective owners.###
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Announces Updates to Award-Winning App
- October 03, 2019; 9:53 AM
- Recent updates for iOS and Android include AccuWeather RealFeel Shade™, enhanced Allergy section and more to provide unprecedented level of weather detail and information on the go.
- Launch of AccuWeatherIQ brings weather targeting to industry leading data platforms, enables brands and advertisers
- September 05, 2019; 12:00 PM
- New data product suite to help US advertisers and brands connect with users at relevant moments in time to maximize campaign performance.
- AccuWeather Announces Appointment of Scott Mackaro as Vice President, Science, Innovation and Development
- August 21, 2019; 2:30 PM
- Scott Mackaro, Ph.D., will lead AccuWeather’s scientific development and research operations, serving as the senior advisor on innovation and overseeing the advancement of new products and solutions in meteorology and other scientific disciplines.
- AccuWeather Continues Rapid Expansion with Relocation of Global Office in New York City
- July 08, 2019; 8:48 AM
- State-of-the-art facility at 7 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan reflects AccuWeather’s continued growth in a variety of key functions, including product development and design, marketing, sales and advertising.
- AccuWeather Network® "Great American Road Trip" Content Series to Feature Highlights of the American Landscape
- July 03, 2019; 10:48 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, is celebrating the summer travel season with a special cross-channel content series, “The Great American Road Trip.” Throughout the month of July, the content will be featured on the AccuWeather Network® and found on the popular www.AccuWeather.com website.
- Steven R. Smith Named President of AccuWeather
- June 14, 2019; 8:57 AM
- Smith assumes leadership of enterprise-wide product, technology, R&D, corporate development and strategy, digital media division, content and the AccuWeather® Network.
- New AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature Guide Will Enhance Outdoor Safety, Health and Comfort
- June 07, 2019; 1:59 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers: “Other weather variables in addition to temperature, such as sunlight, humidity, wind, precipitation and a multitude of other factors, can impact our comfort or discomfort outside and may even cause harm or illness. The AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature Guide is the only tool that works in all weather conditions and translates into actionable behavior choices.”
- Pocono Raceway Stays on Track with Unique Real-time Weather Insights from AccuWeather
- June 07, 2019; 1:44 PM
- Thanks to AccuWeather’s continuously updated race-day forecast, there was no rain delay for NASCAR’s “Pocono 400”—and walk-up ticket sales in the wake of an updated weather forecast boosted this year’s attendance.
- AccuWeather Earns TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal for Protecting Businesses, Consumers from Digital Advertising Fraud
- June 03, 2019; 9:54 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, today announced the Trustworthy Accountability Group (TAG) has awarded the company the coveted TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal.
- AccuWeather Marks 75th Anniversary of D-Day with Content Series on Weather's Influence on Allied Invasion
- May 30, 2019; 8:06 AM
- Little-known story of how an accurate weather forecast contributed to the Allied victory in World War II to be illuminated by AccuWeather throughout June's 75th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy.